Halloween can be scary for your furbaby, even though we usually have a great time. Sometimes dogs can get anxious, even though you may not see their anxiety. Below are some tips to make Halloween safe and fun for your furbaby.
- Make sure your dog has a safe space to go during the evening when trick-or-treaters are constantly coming by for candy. Have them go to this space every time the doorbell rings, as this avoids the dog darting out the door while you’re giving out candy.
- Chocolate is not good for dogs, so make sure that all the candy is kept out of their reach when you’re handing it out, but also the stash your human kids bring home should also be kept in a place out of the reach of your canine kid..
- If you dress your furbaby up for Halloween, make sure that the costume is comfortable and that they are ok with it.
- If you take your furbaby trick-or-treating with you, make sure they stay on-leash, as with all the children and chaos, you want to make sure you always have control of your furbaby...for their own safety.
- Lastly, take a minute to make your furbaby special treats for them too. Even if it’s just bits of cooked meat. This is a perfect opportunity to train them how to behave when guests arrive, so make sure the treat is special. Or, you could always just buy treats from us and you’ll always have a stash of special treats that are healthy for them and freshly baked.
Have a Happy Howl-o-ween!